I just love summer: days spent poolside, adventures at the lake, fresh mint mojitos, and cookouts with all the fixings. I also love summer because it’s sundresses and sandals season. Summer fashion is all about being cool, comfortable, and bright. Have you treated yourself to some new pieces for summer? There’s no need to spend too much of your hard-earned cash. You can get summer essentials on a frugal budget. I’m going to share five warm-weather must haves that all cost less than $20!
- Maxi dresses are my ultimate go-to this year. They are so comfortable, flattering, and modest in a non-frumpy way — you seriously can’t go wrong! The striped maxi above is from Walmart — I couldn’t believe it, either! It combines stripes, cool hues, and a braided drawstring for sweet summery style. When it comes to maxis, I think stripes, florals, and solids are most flattering. Petite women should focus on solids and small prints so their small frames don’t get overwhelmed. Wear this maxi with some strappy sandals, a denim jacket, and a wrist of bangles.
- You need some sunglasses for summer, of course! The pair above is only $13.53 from SunglassWarehouse.com. Again, you can’t go wrong! When it comes to sunglasses, make sure you purchase a pair that block both UVA and UVB rays — this will keep your eyes healthy on the brightest of days. For this season, sunglass trends to wear are oversized styles, round and cat eye shapes, and retro details.
- Yes, scarves are a must have for summer and winter! When it comes to summer scarves, go for breezy cool fabrics like linen, cotton, jersey, and silk. This linen Scarves Dot Net scarf is only $16.11. Its orange hue reminds me of one of my favorite summer treats: a Creamsicle! Orange is the color of summer 2012, so be sure you have a little Tangerine Tango in your wardrobe! Summer scarves are perfect for a chilly summer evening, or even an afternoon at the mall — they keep malls icebox cold when it’s hot out!
- You’ve gotta have at least one pair of strappy sandals for summer. I like to get sandals that are neutral colors, like the white ones above, that can be mixed and matched with lots of different outfits. These go with dresses, skirts, shorts, jeans — and everything in between. When it comes to summer footwear, comfort is key. People tend to be out and about and walking around more during warmer months, and the chance for blisters is high!
- If there’s one beauty product to invest in for summer, it’s a good bronzer. Because skin safety comes first, give your skin that after-sun glow by dusting on some bronzer — rather than baking in the sun! To use this Goddess Rocks bronzer ($20), simply sweep it onto your face where you naturally become sun-kissed: your forehead, cheeks, chin, and the bridge of your nose. My perfect summer makeup routine includes tinted moisturizer, bronzer, a sweep of mascara, and a swipe of tinted chapstick.
And there you have it — five summer essentials under $20. What’s on your must-have list?
Author bio: Sarah Heckle is an Indianapolis fashion blogger.
Frugalful is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What’s your Reaction?